We’ve all got glasses that we wouldn’t wear again but it feels wrong to throw them out! At Carrick Eyecare we can recycle them!
How does the recycling process work?
- Pop your old glasses into a bag and drop them into us (don’t worry old plastic bags will also be reused/recycled.
- Once we’ve got a large collection of frames they are sent to plastics recycling spot in Hull.
- There, they sort things out manually and with machines to separate plastics and metals, like hinges and screws.
- The plastic stuff gets shredded and sent to the board mill, where they make three layers of shredded plastic – two on the outside and one in the middle.
- After that, they heat and press the shredded plastic layers together to make a super strong and durable recycled board that’s good for all kinds of stuff.
- These recycled plastic boards are a cool alternative to plywood and get used in construction, shopfitting, joinery, and more. And that’s not all – the team even comes up with furniture and home and gardenware made from these recycled plastic boards. Cool, right?